Saturday, October 4, 2014

Ghosts and Caution Tape


My husband is a fan of fall.
Like a big fan.
We even chose the fall to get married in because he loves it so much.
And so do I.

This year, he wanted to decorate. Let me give you some context, Mr. D. is a minimalist. When we first got married, I remember one of our first arguments being about the fact that I wanted picture frames on the wall and he thought they were unnecessary. Needless to say, I was shocked when he asked this year if we could decorate.

So he went to the dollar store and found some cheesy Halloween decorations. I am so not into them, but he loves them, so there are cute ghosts on my windows, pumpkins all over (I really don't mind the pumpkins), and caution tape in creepy writing.

I thought it was time I busted out a few less tacky of my own decorations. I have SO many pins on Pinterest, that I decided I should actually do one of these things I pinned. So, I found this sign for fall/Thanksgiving. I wanted to make it easier and less time consuming, so I changed a few things.


This is what I was inspired by, but mine looks a little different. All I needed was a trip to Michael's and a little time in my evening, and boom, I had my own sign.

Here are the things you will need:
  • Stretched burlap canvas
    • I had never heard of these before, but it is literally what it sounds like... A canvas that has burlap stretched over it to give it a cool look and I didn't have to do it.
    • I got a 9x12, but there were so many sizes and they were on sale at Michaels!
  • Paint
    • I chose two different browns and an orange, but only ended up using dark brown.
  • Hot glue gun
  • Scissors
  • Scrapbook paper in fall-ish colors
  • Letters
  • Paint Brush
  • Jute
I started out by painting my letters since I couldn't find any in the right color. I did three coats because these had black writing that you could see through the paint, but it dried really fast. If you have a fancy machine that will cut out a stencil for you, I am jealous, but these letters were much cheaper than a Cricut.

While those dried all the way, I then cut my scrapbook paper to make my flags. I cut them into rectangles of 3"x 1.5". 

Then I folded them in half (ignore my terribly painted nails)

Lastly, just cut them into a triangle...

I then cut a piece of jute a long as I needed for my canvas size and just hot glued my triangle flags over the jute, like so. 

I then glued on the letters, let those dry, and then glued on the jute . A couple of the flags I also hot glued down, let it dry, and boom, done. That is literally it. 

Here is the finished product hanging on my wall next to my front door. I think it looks very autumn-y (is that a word?) and makes me excited for leaves and boots and Thanksgiving and pumpkins and rain. 

As for the ghosts and caution tape...... Well, I guess I am the best wife ever. 




No comments:

Post a Comment